Thursday, April 12, 2007

Do we really need blogs?

Forums, Youtube videos, Video blogs, podcasts, Wikis, new things such as Twitter and Tumblr, SMS/Texting and social network sites: Facebook, Orkut, Myspace, Yahoo Answers and others.

When you look at the amount of activity in this “Live/Always On” web, you tend to take a fresh look at the blogging phenomenon, which is in its 10th year.

The reason why I ask whether we need blogs is that if your blog does not make much headway, it remains a desperate (and proud) personal outpost flying your flag in the swirling ocean of of humanity.

Looking at other available tools, you begin to think whether blogging is really for you.

You find yourself asking, “Aren’t I better off using other tools?

1. Talking with people who share my beliefs and likings in social networks.
2. Asking questions and for help in appropriate forums.
3. If I wanted to waste some free time, chatting on my mobile phone, twittering my latest activity, looking at photos and videos on Orkut.
4. If I was into news, I might make better friends than the occasional commenter on my blog, when I commented often on Digg and Reddit.
5. Going further, I might use that cultivated friendship for business purposes, especially if I frequented Ryze or LinkedIn.

The Blog becomes a sideshow in this alternate scenario.

What about people who are out to make a money using blogging?
How do you build a brand?
Do you have the resources to stay put for a long haul?

You have to fight the A-listers, Digg cabals, expensive SEO experts, free information on Wikipedia, the news websites, spam blogs (90% of existing blogs) etc for a good place in the search engines, for attention as well.

Vic Keegan has written a good article on the state of blogging in the Guardian.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see ur pain but you have surely pointed out good alternatives.

 
At 5:04 AM , Blogger Rohit Sattar said...

I do all the things you said as alternatives.
But blogging is my passion ;-)
and I need a blog, for posting news of my remixes and also for making some money :D
--
And yes of course, more than 90% of the blogs are spam.
Blog is a very good idea, but Some people misuse them.

 
At 1:55 PM , Blogger Pramit Singh said...

I agree, blog is a very good idea.

 
At 2:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to do a research project about the iphone for my computer science class. The question asks, "what kind of licensing agreement is the iphone under." The options are Single User License, Multi-User License, Site License, Enterprise License. Please help me!
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url] [url=http://gpq.just4play.biz/include.php?path=forum/showthread.php&threadid=15&entries=171960&PHPKITSID=f7ce83e63cad93a0410a750d97fb282c#post172009]unlock iphone[/url]

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home