Sunday, June 24, 2007

Jeff Jarvis' advertising policy/code for bloggers

Responding to the recent case where some top bloggers allegedly took ads for singing praises of Microsoft, Jeff Jarvis has made his stand clear - he is against the practice however smug the accused bloggers may be.

You can almost see them smirking on the other side of your monitors.

Mr. Jarvis has posted his 10-point advertising policy:
1. My voice is not for sale.
2. My editorial space is not for sale.
3. When I am paid to write (as in a freelance article) or to speak, I will still determine what I say and I will disclose that relationship.
4. I will attempt to disclose relevant financial relationships so you are free to judge me and my words accordingly.
5. In some cases, such a relationship will prevent me from speaking on a subject (as in talking in detail about an employer). However, I will not be compelled to speak because of such a relationship.
6. If I say something openly and freely here, it may be quoted by a commercial entity (the blurb) but I will not be compensated for that.
7. My acceptance of advertising here does not constitute an endorsement of the advertiser. However, I will at times turn down advertising I find unacceptable.
8. I recognize that many blog, vlogs, etc. do not pretend to live by editorial standards and that is their right and freedom. But when they say some things, I will need to take when they say with appropriate salt.
9. I have financial relationships with others who do not follow these rules and in many cases I do not believe these rules apply to them (e.g., entertainment). I enjoy and respect many sites and products that do not follow these rules, but I expect to be able to find out what rules they operate by. I believe one’s rules and relationships should be disclosed.
10. I do not believe I have a price at which I would sell out. But if I did, I can say I certainly haven’t seen it yet.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home