Social Media will be dead in 20097 reasons why:
1. everyone thinks she/he is a social media expert.
2. everyone can tweet, re-tweet, NYT on facebook, facebook on NYT, and crosspost something at 22 different social media tools. It goes on ad-nauseum.
3. everyone can kiss the ass of the bigger social media guru, who in turn...
4. everyone can create a top 10 most exciting...kind of posts
5. everyone fervently believes in the two Vs of social media: video, viral
6. everyone is angling for the 'so far safe' jobs at Google, or a cushy consulting job by positioning oneself as an 'expert' on something and recycling stories written by others.
7. very few people are actually starting meaningful startups that really help reporters and chroniclers of the world.
Things will come to pass in 2009 when:
1. The internet will choke from all the traffic for video, social networking sites and big companies spamming the social media sites.
2. People will realize that those social media experts are nothing but spammers and snake oil merchants. [Tip: If you it is marketing 2.0 that you want to understand, read Churchofthecustomer. If you want to understand Community Building, Read Feverbee. That's all there is to it.]
Most Important of all,
3. We will eventually realize social media is just, well, media.
Labels: social media